Friday, January 6, 2012

In the thick of it

All cleaned up and time to hit the town.  I can already feel the vibe of the awesomeness envelop us before we even make it to Main.  FiL wants some Italian, so the search is on.  I pull up Google Maps and somehow can't spell Italian, is it I before A except after L? Google pulls up a few restaurants.  Turn left here, and it is right on our right.  Parking lot?  Was that 12th?  Oh, no not again Google!  Next.  Get back on Main and look for a left turn on 7th.  Alright, 1 for 3 ain't bad.

Hoity toity super expensive hostess girl asks if we have a reservation.  Otherwise it's going to be 45min.  I'm thinking I can rack up a GDP sized bar tab in this place in 45min.  Must have been my shoes, Fox Racing...not Prada.  Thanks but, No thanks.  Time to pound some pavement in search of sustenance.  FiL spies a familiar place on the corner and we proceed to our destination.  Upon opening of the door, first look says Bar and not so much Grill.  It is all of 40' across and packed with a mixture of locals and tourists, we fit somewhere right in between.  We find the table that is open right next to a tiny stage and a speaker.  People at the bar have been there for a while, or at least for a few shots.  Maybe they had been there for a long while, or a lot of shots.  I'm starving and the body is shutting down starting with it's ability to make conversation.  I'm in full on tool mode and FiL is looking at me like this is going to hurt a little.












I need carbs.  Beer me!  Now!  Stat!  Where is that 1800's clad dancing girl waitress?  Oh, great the "talent" is taking the stage.  Well at least we don't have to worry about conversation.  Pizza, and could I get another beer in this century?  So this C&W singer cranks it up.  I'm not into Country or Western music.  It's somehow a sing-a-long and I don't know the words.  Dude stops and says "sir, you are not participating"!  I gave him my best I'm not from your country and don't understand your strange customs.  "Sorry I don't listen to Country"  After my second beer and half a pizza down the hatch, I tried my hand at heckling.  I, being fluent in music and somewhat of a smart arse, I yell out Don Mclean!  C&W guy seems to be more fluent than I and busts out into American Pie.  Touche!  

And a good time was had by all.  It was a rocky take-off but a smooth landing.  Next morning up early, body still set to central time.  Time to hit the road and find Durango Nordic Skiing Club.  I'm going to try XC Skiing, for the first time in my life.  I am excited, and a little apprehensive.  I have knowledge of XC and know that it is 90% technique and 120% cardio.  I am going to hurt tomorrow, hurt in places that are new and interesting.  First I need to learn how to clip into these stupid skinny nothing of a ski.  It took me so long that the rental guy came out of the club house to help out the "challenged" kid -me.  I'm feeling so cool at this point.  Can I get a padded helmet and a safety vest?  And, can you have the short bus come by to pick me up?

Learning new things, one sometimes has to set aside ego and embrace ones inner self deprecating loser.  I love me.  The club has 20k of trails.  We dabbled in a few of the k's and I found that I can't turn when going downhill.  I did learn that gravity is most certainly real and not just a myth cooked up years ago.  The earth is flat, at least the parts that I hit with my arse are flat.  The views were some of the best of the trip. (up to this point) 












That's all for today...Coming up...More Pizza...and a trip to the Durango Brewery

1 comment:

  1. "Learning new things, one sometimes has to set aside ego and embrace ones inner self deprecating loser. I love me." - priceless. I learned how to ski when I was an exchange student in Sweden. My host family learned how to ski before they could walk - so they strapped on skis, took me to the highest mountain they could find and left me there. Either they were trying to feed me to the wild life or sacrifice me to some Norse God, I'll never know. slid down the entire mountain on my butt. When I made it back to the cabin they were all naked in the suana. -- Your vacay sounds like a blast. Glad you enjoyed it. Great pictures too. And my husband feels for you, he hates C&W with a passion. He'd have asked for freebird. ;)

    ReplyDelete