Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot...

Waking up in my parent's house on Christmas morning, the house that I grew up in, was an electric feeling.  Knowing that Santa came and put presents under the tree/trees.  I felt young again, and excited to see what I had in my stocking.  Dang it, forgot to get Santa cookies and milk.  Coal for sure.  I did not hang a stocking so nothing in there for me.  One look outside the bedroom window and I could tell that Santa had been busy.  Very busy, and by the looks of it was still busy covering the ground and everything else with white flocking.  It's a Christmas Miracle!  A White Christmas in the Texas Panhandle.  What the heck?  Forecast said nothing about snow, much less a Winter Weather Advisory brought to us by the lovely people at the NWS.   Awesome, Right?  Yes, and no...we still have to drive to Albuquerque this afternoon.  Not a chance, not in this weather. 

So here I am packing up the car in a snow storm.  I had to get the bikes off the rack and into the car.  Thank you Tetris, for my unbelievable packing skills.  This is stupid, we have about 60miles of crap to drive through to get to good weather and clean roads.  Not smart.  The Boss said go so I jumped as high as I could.  I've put down a fair share of snow and ice miles in my existence on earth, with trips and living in UT.  It was against my better judgment, but Wife-y knows best.  (as it turns out leaving when we did was the smartest thing, probably should have left earlier)  [just don't tell her that she was right!]

Travel was slow and the crazies were out in full force.  On the outskirts of Amarillo I am flying at a whopping 40mph, which felt too fast, and I am getting passed by people of superior intelligence and 4x4 awesomeness.  Something catches my eye in the rear-view mirror.  It looks like a tractor sliding sideways, it is a tractor-trailer sliding sideways about 3-4 car lengths behind us.  Looks just like the movies, all slo-mo with snow roosting into the air and cars hitting the ditch to avoid being smooshed.  Oh yeah, this was a great idea.  I'm about to pull the plug on this excursion, but I already have the bit between the teeth and my destination is calling.  Turning around at this point would be idiocy and failure.  I must fight the good fight and spit in Mother Nature's eye.  Ha Ha I laugh under my breath, as I tell the Wife what a bad idea this was to be out in this weather.  10 years ago I would have been driving too fast and trying to pass every car on the road.  I'm getting soft.

A few miles from the Tex-NewMex border the roads are clean and dry.  Live to fight another day.  The metal of the medallion felt cool on my skin, a feeling I was not accustomed.  My sister had only hours earlier given me La Madonna del Ghisallo.  Even if I was driving a car, somehow the patron Saint of Cycling was already at work.

A few more hours down the road, a closed rest stop, a closed truck stop, and an emergency pit stop at the side of the road.  We were now inside the city limits of Albuquerque.  Google Maps the hotel and we are in bed in a few mins...  Not if Google Maps is WRONG.  Not sure if ghetto is the correct term, I'm thinking barrio is more apropos.  Finally after driving down a (this is so cliche) dark alleyway, I called the hotel and asked for directions.  Yes, I am still a Man, and I asked for directions.  Stupid Google maps.  2500NW and 2500NE are worlds apart, even if they are only 3-5miles away.

Day two done, a hotel bathroom that I have trouble getting in without shin-ing myself on the toilet.  Sleepy time and a day after Christmas to remember.  Look for part three coming to an internet near you.  There will be beer, I've been driving all this time so no drinking for me yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment