Sunday, December 12, 2010

Brew Haus

Your two weeks are up, the specific gravity is perfect, right on the numbers.  Time to bottle.  Get out the sanitizer, bottles, capper, priming tank, ect, ect.  Home brew is work, but it is so much fun.  Exciting.  Don't forget...Rewarding. 

Bottling is fun.  Filling. Capping.  Putting the fruits of your labor into cases and then storing in a warm dark place.  Bottling also signals Job Done, all that there is left to do is wait, and then pop a top, pour, repeat. 

It is a simple process, once you have your beer fermented and you check the specific gravity, to see that fermentation is complete, you add sugar to the priming tank.  The sugar is a small amount that will activate the yeast again to produce CO2 to carbonate the beer.  This is what is known as "bottle conditioned".

I use 22oz bottles to cut back on a little of the labor, and since this is a pouring beer a 22 works out great.  I like to drink out of 12s, but pouring beers are nice in the 22s.  There is sediment in the bottom of bottle conditioned beers, and the constant tipping of the beer stirs up the sediment, so therefore pouring is cleaner.

Anyway, getting way to technical.  The Amber that I brewed is amazing (by my biased opinion) after all, all I did was follow directions, so I think I can say amazing and not be egotistical.  All patting oneself on the back aside I would like this beer even if I had no hand in it.  I like it so much I will be brewing it next, that is right after I get finished with my Honey Wheat.  That's right, got the kit in today along with a secondary fermenter.  So I will get the Amber in the mail and a week after I brew the Wheat I will transfer it to the secondary fermenter and brew the Amber and place it in the primary fermenter.  Bottle the Wheat and the Amber goes into the secondary.  Rinse and Repeat.

I think I might have a Brewing problem?  Hello, my name is Glenn Duh and I am a Brew-a-holic.

1 comment:

  1. Strong Work HB (HomeBrew) I can't wait to enjoy your efforts.

    ReplyDelete