Monday, December 13, 2010

anticipation

I am leaving in the morning to take a short road trip to go mtbing with a friend, and there is a slight buzz.  An electricity of knowing what is coming, but an uncertainty of the spontaneity of mtbing.  I don't define myself as a mtbiker, but I ride a mtbike, and I think about riding.  I think about riding all the time and when I am not thinking about riding my subconscious is. 

I rail perfect turns on the sides of overpasses.  I've launched swiss precision wheelie drops from the BOK tower over the Mayo and landed on SWBoulevard.  I weave in and out of a traffic rock gardens, drop into a grassy median for a little road-gap action over a semi-truck.  I gapped the turnpike at least 27 times on Tuesday on the way to the City.  I've ridden my bike on millions of miles on untracked, unridden, unmarked trails. 

I've replayed trails over and over again, just like your friend in middle school that wore out a tape playing the same song that they first made-out to.  (sorry kids, probably wont get that reference)  I've ridden on every continent, the Moon, and even Mars.  When I am on the bike I think about riding more, more than the body will allow. 

I've pushed the body just to get "that feeling".  Legs are tired, back and arms are on fire, but must keep peddling just to have fun.  The smart play would be to stop or slow down, but the little devil on the shoulder is screaming for me to pin it, and the other little devil on my other shoulder is yelling "pin it, Nancy. Is that all you got?".  So what are you gonna do?

The bike is clean, chain is oiled and the drive-train adjusted (thanks Shimano).  Tools and gear are not packed but readied, it's like a military operation.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.  Ride until you can't see straight, someone gets hurt, or you have equipment failure.  Roadtrips are conquests, you come home with your crew and you can't stop talking about what you just lived through.  That is LIVIN'.

1 comment: