Thursday, December 16, 2010

Soothes the Soul pt.1

I was asked if I could only listen to one song what would it be.  I don't know how to answer that question.  I love music (country music excluded).  I would have to pick something classical, no not Classic Rock -Classical as in"Real Music".  I don't listen to classical, one -we don't have a good station here in "short bus radio land", two -I like classical, but its hard to look this cool rocking out to Bach.  Not that you cannot rock out to Bach.  You can.

I am a Wagner man.  That is some heavy stuff.  If you are not familiar, think helicopter scene in Apocalypse Now.  Wagner's The Flying Dutchman, and Ride of the Valkyries would be on my shortlist of "the one song". Yes I know it is not a song it is a Opera, so there I kind of circumnavigated the "one song" by choosing an opera.

This brings me to an interesting dilemma...  Most influential albums in my life, or must own albums.  It is easy to throw down albums on a list and let, you the reader wonder what they mean to me.  If you own the album or know the music, you know what it represents in your life, but not mine.

Off the top of my head... Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon  -How can you not own this album?  Aside from the fact that Money is overplayed to death.  It is a great song, but enough already.  This album is meant to be listened to as one work.  Put it in, press play and enjoy you can't listen to it out of order and by all means do not listen to just one song.  It is truly a work of art.  Not to mention the "Dark Side of the Rainbow", but you can play Wizard of Oz with DSotM as the sound track.  I've never done it, but heard about it.    ?????

I found DSotM later in my musical growth, I did have The Wall, and was introduced to it by the movie in the early '80s.  Oh '80s music.  Got to love it.  I cut my teeth on the "hair-bands" and then the "velvet" movement.  I started skateboarding and as a rite of passage had to listen to "punk".  I did own a Michel Jackson album in there somewhere, but who didn't.  Cast the first stone.

Up Next...
Violent Femmes
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Fugazi
U2
INXS
Joy Division/New Order
NIN

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a hug Pink Floyd fan, but I can get behind the rest of your list. "Waiting Room" by Fugazi might be one of my all time favorite songs. Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails is truly classic. I love old New Order and wish people would play more than "Bizarre Love Triangle" and "True Faith". Good list. I could sit back and listen to these artists all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. That's funny. It should read that I am not a HUGE Pink Floyd fan, not HUG.

    ReplyDelete