Friday, December 17, 2010

Oh Fence

Who is the "they" who makes things the way things are?  I'm talking about offending.  Saying something and someone gets bent out of shape because of what was said.  I think it is sad.  It is sad that we have become so soft and everything is fluff.  You put a hard edge on something and oh boy somebody is gonna get hurt.  Hurt little feelers.  Buck up little campers, life is not all soccer and soft-ball trophies.

If I say that something is gay, I'm not trying to offend, poke fun or demean people of a lifestyle choice.  I don't use the word as a derogative toward someones sexual preference.  It has taken on a meaning that has nothing to do with the original meaning or the substitute meaning that the word now signifies.  Gay in it's original form meant fun, happy, whimsical.  I don't use it for it's first intended usage, that would be gay.  See how I used it there?  And I did not use it as a sexual preference slang. 

Words change, language changes, people define words in their own and unique way.  Case and point, I spent some time in the '80s, and the word bad changed it's meaning.  Bad became good, it was an uber positive word and a little overused or abused.  I am guilty as charged.  Dude became a standard and I have not gotten rid of it in my day-to-day vocabulary.  I call everyone dude, and have even had full conversations with people only using the word.  Dude -look it up in the dictionary, and tell me we don't change words.

Now for my favorite offencive word that I cannot stop using.  Retard, and it's other form, Retarded.  Hang around me long enough and you will hear it, more than once.  I laughed so hard in the Hangover when Allen pronounces it RA-tard.  "Ha ha classic."   I am by no means using the word to be offencive to people who are handicapped, mentally challenged, developmentally challenged, challenged challenged, etc.  I know this word it the one with the least amount of grey area, and I use it with reckless abandon.

I feel that no matter how guarded we are with our choice of verbiage, we will offend someone.  It is inevitable.  Once again, I think people should harden up, speak your mind.  -Respect your fellow human.  Dude, I might be retarded if I call something gay.  Get your pannies unbunched, a clean bowl of Post Toasties and enjoy life 'cause it's BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment