Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sound

Been going through my CD collection. CD for those of you who don't know what that is or can't remember what it is, CD is Compact Disk. It was state of the art, it killed the cassette tape the way the cassette tape killed the 8-track, and the way video killed the radio star. They are works of art, the jewel cases and how the liner notes are folded in, some forming small books with pictures of the band, lyrics, a track list, and sometimes hidden little gems. I can still remember getting my first CD player all in one desktop stereo cassette player. You had to have the cassette player so you could make a copy of the CD to play in your car, Duh, cars did not come with CD players...yet.

Looking through my collection is a field trip to memory land free of charge. I can remember buying some of these CDs where I was, who I was with. I can put a track on and remember the first time I heard it, or something special about the song. There is history woven into the lyrics and beats, my history. It is a trigger, the proverbial "they" say that smell is the strongest trigger of memory, I agree to an extent, but for me sound. Better yet, Music. Music is powerful.

I like all kinds of music, except country, you would think growing up on a farm in Texas would make me a fan. No dice. Actual quote, wish I would have come up with this one---"country music is the special olympics of music." That pretty much sums it up. Totally off subject but I saw a shirt that said "I would rather lose a pick-up game of Hockey than win a Gold medal in Figure skating." Just sharing, your turn.

If you had to pick out a soundtrack for the movie adaptation of your life could you do it? I think it would be easy. Only problem: I would have more soundtrack than movie. That's the beauty, all talk no substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment