Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Down, but not out

I've been sick since my trip to Colorado, which pretty much sucks. That means that I have been off the bike, sort of, for the past three weeks. I have felt so bad that I really did not feel like getting on a bike, kind of a blessing in disguise. I love to ride bikes and it would kill me not to be on the bike. Being ill and all of this heat really made the choice not to ride pretty easy. I did say "sort of" I did a little MTB over the weekend, this and last. Real slow mellow cruising style, I just could not get motivated to get on the road bike.

I do have a point to all of this... There have been several of my teammates that have had the misfortune of being injured, and ultimately forced off of the bike. Not a short period of time like myself, but months. Yes that is like multiples of 30-31 days at a time. I don't have the strong constitution to endure what they have had to deal with while they have been out of commission.

I tip my hat to you. Those of you that have been under Doctor's care and have come out to support your team. Watching us doing what you love to do, but are unable because of your injured reserve status. It is pure hell to sit in the team tent, and watch your category zip by in front of you, but yet you do. You cheer on your team, you fetch water bottles, you are there with a towel. You are there.

You know who you are, unfortunately for you and for us, we have lost several teammates to injury. You all have been an inspiration to me to not give up what I am able to do, when you are not. Please know that you have earned my respect. Teams are built on a foundation of members such as you, and not by podiums.

Thank you

1 comment: