Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ronde van Vlaanderen 2011

This is my favorite race, so my opinions are so skewed that you should probably stop reading if you are against hyperbole, because I am most likely going to use words like superhuman, devastating, millions, forever, awesome, and legendary. Just to name a few.  First and foremost I am a fan of cycling, a distant second I am a student of the sport, but eternally I am an advocate of the bicycle as art, transport, lifestyle, and sport.

What we saw on Sunday afternoon was incredible.  I'm finding it hard to come up with words to describe the emotions that I had while watching the Ronde.  My only disappointment was the weather was too kind to the riders, but nonetheless it is a brutal race wet or dry, hot or cold.

Sylvain Chavanel, what can you say about this man?  Clearly he was the strongest man of the day, and it was all in support of the team leader Tom Boonen.  Chavanel covered every attack, acceleration, every break, if a rider looked to make a move Chavanel was on it.  Cancellara made a break for it and Chavanel became his shadow.  Chavanel practically spent more time on the front than the lead moto.  Tactically he did everything that he was supposed to do, you could not put it on paper better than the way he executed it on the road.  If anyone should be tested for motors or frictionless bearings, put Sylvain in an MRI and see if this guy is human.  Under the red kite he was alone with Cancellara and Nuyens and looked to be in the perfect position...when he sat up briefly to help Boonen try to come across the small gap.  This small hesitation (most likely ordered by his DS) caused Nuyens to get the jump on Chavanel and Cacellara forcing Sylvain to fight for second.  Fiercely loyal, cost him the Ronde.

Philippe Gilbert is the dictionary definition of Panache.  He has more style on the bike than Pozzato's off-bike wardrobe.  Guilty as charged -I'm a fan of Gilbert.  His attack on the Muur in Geraardsbergen made me wince in pain.  I had visions of Cancellara '10 and Devolder '09 going alone to the line, but Philippe had way too much firepower behind him and was caught after just a few solo km.  He did manage to stay in the chase group that was an all-star list of who's who and finished a very respectable 9th on the day.

George Hincapie started his 16th Ronde van Vlaanderen, do the math that is more pain and suffering than most humans endure in a lifetime.  Yes, he gets paid to do this, but there are other races out there that he can pick and choose.  I can't bring myself to call George "old", it is a disservice and rude.  George has knowledge and knowledge is power, but more importantly he brings a diesel engine to the table.  Sorry Turbo Diesel.  I would be remiss if I did not say I was a fan of Big George.  I challenge you to find someone, anyone who does not like George.  Even if they don't like George they at least respect him.

Cancellara, I can't write anything about Fabian.  I am at a loss for words, he is able to single-handedly dismantle an entire peloton.  If you want to win a race just attach yourself to Cancellara and hang on.  Ask Nick Nuyens.  Riis looks like a magician, but Nuyens was the one who appeared out of thin air at the right time and put himself into the winning move.  Then he was gifted the win by QuickStep's boss.

Tom Boonen, local favorite, hero, villain, and 3rd loser on Sunday.  Hey, I'm a fan of Tom -I wanted him to win the Ronde for the third time.  I know it is not Tom's fault, but QuickStep could have had the win, but I think they were to focused on getting a Belgian rider the win.  They got what they wanted, Nuyens is Belgian -but he rides for Saxo Bank, ooops.  I guess second and fourth is consolation?  We can sit in the easychair and postulate what ifs forever.  What if about 5km from the finish QuickStep changed the plan and hung the star on Chavanel?  3km?  2km?  Heck 1km to go would have been a good decision?  What if Tom rode for Chavanel?  I know what IF?????

Here is where I talk about the "how 'bout that guy?"   Get ready to google Staf Sheirlinckx of Veranda's Willems-Accent.  Who?  Right, that's what I'm talking about.  He was the guy in the black and white kit that Paul and Phil never talked about (thanks VS).  Bjorn Leukemans of Vacansoleil-DCM if you remember back a few years ago he finished just off the podium in Roubaix.  Sebastian Langeveld of Rabobank -heck I thought he was Lars Boom for the longest time.  British National champ Geraint Thomas of Sky, just another crazy fast Welsh track rider.  Keep an eye on this guy, he was with Barloworld until they closed up shop and Sky signed him.  His is going to do great things.

Chalk up another Ronde, and get ready for Paris-Roubaix this weekend.  Don't forget Mid-Week Racing.  Yes, mid-week Scheldeprijs in Belgium, and Pais Vasco in ongoing in Spain.  More later kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment