Friday, April 8, 2011

Guilt makes the world go 'round

If I ruffle some feathers, it will be alright, count to ten and then think about it.  I, like you, have an opinion, if you don't like it -that is your right, but you do also have the opurtunity to change my mind.  Good Luck with that, no really I am open-minded.

In conversation last night we were talking about an upcoming race, and the lack of attendance by members of our team.  I think it is a disservice to someone who is injured to not go race, when you are able bodied.  Mike recently took a spill and now has the Fastener isle of Ace Hardwear in his shoulder.  He is currently on the injured reserve, but the guy is coming to team meetings, WNR, and hanging out for beers.  He is even on a trainer right now trying to maintain fitness for his comeback.  If Mike was not busted up he would be out riding, and he would be racing with us this weekend.  I know it is not fair comparing anyone to Mike, he is a Man's Man and the quintessential teammate.  His moustache was Burt Reynolds stunt double, back before most of us were born.

If you are able to race (kids, wife, job, life) and are not sick or injured there really is no good excuse to not race your bike.  If your pride is on the line it can be a painful thing,but you will live -trust me.  I got my @$s handed to me on the WNR, talk about a kick to the crotch of Pride, yeah it hurts, but I got up the next day and rode my bike again.  How many people can say they got on their bike and rode?  How many people do you know in your life that don't ride bikes?  How many can't ride a bike because of injury, illness, or other issues?  Excuses are whatever you want them to be, but at the end of the day they are just excuses.

Side note:  Gabe Speth who rides for Soundpony was critically injured by a car last Friday night.  I just found out and don't have very much info.  On FaceBook go to the Gabe Speth Fund for info.  When I raced for Soundpony I raced with Gabe, it's cliche but he is a good guy and I hate to see this happen to him.  Keep him, his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.  If you have any info that you would like to share please email me or post it in the comments.
That's Gabe in the 'Pony kit #437 Hell's Kitchen
Photo: Jess Parker collection

No comments:

Post a Comment