Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rain, Rain

I'm about to have a tropical depression with all of this rain. New MTB sitting in the garage begging for some singletrack, dry singletrack, and we are under a flood watch/warning. Should have known, I planned a MTB roadtrip to do some riding this weekend and now it looks like it will be all road. Hey, at least I will be on a bike, maybe a kayak would be a wiser choice.

I did however "steal" a good long ride in the rain last night. Normally my rides in the rain are unplanned, got caught in the rain, it started raining, but yesterday I started my ride in the rain. That is a first. It sounds like a big deal, but yesterday the temperature and wind were on my side, it was too easy. I'm really glad that I got out for a ride, it was so worth it. Trails were empty, I had a free all-access pass to Rivertrails. That place is great when there is no one out, it feels like you are all alone even-though there is a major city street just yards away.

Riding in the rain can be a miserable endeavor or it can be a return to a childhood yesterday. I remember riding bikes in the rain and laying down skids into big water puddles, seeing how big a "rooster" you could make. That of course took place in the "city" at friend's houses, out on the farm it was a mudhole and no fun to ride. Getting rain on the farm meant no plowing, no planting, no harvesting, and generally a day off. Needless to say, I have always liked when it rained, but right now I am thinking MTB will be off the table for a few days until it can dry out.

See you on the road, in a boat?

No comments:

Post a Comment