Monday, September 6, 2010

3X10


My new bike came with Shimano's answer to Sram's 10speed mountain group. I have the SLX version with a 24, 32, 42 up front and an 11, 36 out back. That is a pretty wide range of gearing options. I was pleasantly surprised, thought I did my homework when I was shopping. When I picked up the bike at my LBS I noticed how large the cassette was and saw the 36 sitting outback. Then I was told that it was a 3X10. Wow!

First Ride: Shifting felt cheap, I have Sram X9 on my old bike and a shift is BAM, BAM, BAM all day long. Cheap is a bad word, but that is what came to mind the first few. It is very light and it is predictable, but the feel is fragile compared to X9. I do like that the trigger finger shifter can also be used with the thumb. It is a "two-way" shift, being that I am used to the Sram system this came in handy. I also like how sometimes I will use the index finger and sometimes the thumb. That is a plus.

The middle ring or the 32 is the work horse of the whole system. I find that I ride 95% in the 32 and do a great deal of cross-chaining. When shifting into the small or 24 there are not too many usable gears before you get chain rub on the front derailleur. The same is said for the 42 or the big ring. You can only use about four gears before you get chain rub and have to shift into the 32.

I really like the idea of the 11x36 on the cassette. That is awesome. The triple up front is a waste. A 24, 39 up front would be great or any other combination that would suit the local that you find yourself living near. 2X10 seems more logical to me, 3X10 has way too much overlap on the trail. It probably looks really good on paper, but when put to use it is unnessairy. I would like to test ride a 2X10 system. I am sold on the 10speeds. Shimano or Sram? It's your choice of S-word.

No comments:

Post a Comment