Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Adieu Le Professor

I am going to re-post a comment from MartyB65. I could never capture what Fignon's impact was on cycling because I have only been a student of the sport for a short time. Thank you for the comment Marty:

Heart breaking.... my Wife even commented on the loss. I have always found Laurent an inspiration. My first three cycling posters in the early 80's... #1 Eddy Merckx, #2 Francesco Moser, #3 I had two Laurent Fignon posters -- one was a Gitane ad, which currently hangs in the SoundPony... DeeAnn thought we should have a memorial toast at the Pony soon... maybe even hang a black ribbon or put the French flag at half mast.

Fignon's death has truly been a loss to me... maybe just another sign that my youth has gone.

By the way his nickname was not just centered around those intellectual appearing glasses, but due to the fact that he had to choose between going to the school of veterinary medicine and a racing career... Most racers of the time were from the working class, and not college educated... hence the nickname.

Adieu Le Professor


The generation that survived WWII is said to be the Greatest Generation. The Merckx, Hinault, Fignon, Hampsten, and many others are our Greatest Generation. They are from an era of cycling that was gritty, dirty, but Pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment