Monday, September 6, 2010

3X10 Update


My profile: 143lbs soaking wet, Scorpio, like long rides on singletrack. I can put out 1000w+ for short periods of time on the road bike -so saith the PowerTap.

I mention all of that because I had my forth ride on the new bike, with the Shimano 3X10 SLX drive train. I started to experience some ghost shifting and some issues with the rear derailleur, similar to when you have a leaf or some sort of garbage in the cassette. Everything looked fine so I continued to ride and then it happened. Snap. Or should I say OH SNAP. Broken chain. That is a first for me. I've been MTBing for 11 years now and never done that before.

What is the deal? Is it a bad chain? Is a small 10speed chain too small for of-road applications? When 9speed came out they said the same thing -9speed is too small and will never stand up to the rigors of off-road. With so few miles on this system I am a little bummed, but also curious as to what the "real" issue might be. Being that it is Labor Day I cannot go to the LBS and talk to them. I am concerned about other people riding the same system. I am not what you would call a Big Guy. Unless, you were using the opposite nickname deal. Tiny = Big Guy, Big Guy = small dude.

Let's say that a 175lb guy is using the same system, he will tear it a new one.

I'm still having issues with the range of the 24, 32, 42. It is mechanically "goofy" when trying to find a gear that is in the "overlap" range. Very unnatural feel on the bike, and TONS of front chain-vs-derailleur rub. Some of the shifts in the lower range are spaced far apart and are not smooth at all. I need to ride a 26, 39 up front, that just sounds like a better ratio. It would seem that, that combo would almost eliminate the dreaded overlap of the triple. There is also a 28, 42, but that is a little on the big side for me. I don't need that kind of top end.

I am trying to stay positive, and hope that the chain was just a lemon. I do only have 62miles on the bike, not enough to make a qualified review. Well, I do have to say the bike is solid, and there are no complaints. The Maestro Suspension is magical. Hype it is not, it is the real deal, and Giant is no joke. The jury is still out on the 10speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment