Friday, September 3, 2010

Christmas time

I never got a bike for Christmas, but I do remember getting my first bike. Cherry Red Stu Thompsen bmx bike. Man, I loved that bike. Wish I still had it to hit some dirt jumps...yeah right. I had a department store bought bike and my friends had LBS purchased bikes. The birth of bike envy. I rode bikes for two or three years and then I just stopped.

I started skateboarding a few years later and that was the "gateway drug" to my snowboarding addiction. Had it so bad that I moved to Utah. Somewhere in my short stay in Utah, I decided that drinking by the pool was not good enough for summer training. It usually took me a month to "get back" to where I was the previous season. So there I was having a "man soda" in the pool, and I had a realization. Utah has mountains, same mountains that I snowboard on, and you can ride bikes in them there hills. Who knew?

So being a snowboard bum, I had my parents buy me my first MTB. Still have the frame in my attic. That is where it all started. I rode that bike all over SLC and even rode some in the mountains on the most beautiful trails I have ever ridden. The rest is history, and I have owned a few bikes since then. Now I have a new bike being built-up and I feel as though it is my first bike all over again. To be honest, every new bike I get is "just like my first bike."

I went to the shop yesterday and saw my new ride out of the box and ready to be built. Anticipation is a killer and I am a victim. Hope the build is done today, and that the trails dry out for this weekend. Because I can't wait. Worse case scenario, trails will be too muddy and I will have to wait a day or two. Hope to see you on the trails this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment