Tuesday, August 31, 2010

adieu champion

The Professor lost his battle with cancer this morning. We lost a cycling Great, France lost a son, and many in the peloton lost a fierce competitor and brother.

Laurent Fignon was an amazing cyclist, I wish I would have been able to see him rival LeMond and Hinault --Back when I knew nothing about cycling. He won le Tour in '83 and '84, and was second step to LeMond by 8sec in '89. The Professor had a Giro in '89, he also scored back-to-back victories at Milan-San Remo in '88-'89. He has too many victories for me to list, so look him up on the great fantastical web. You wont be disappointed.

Although, I did not know Fignon or follow his career, I feel that he has left a void in cycling. Laurent has gone from being a part of our cycling world, to being part of it's rich history. He was taken too soon from us, and will be missed. The Professor is a part of cycling's recent history, and he has help shape the way we know cycling as it is today. His hands no longer on the hoods, his legacy will remain on the roads of France, and in the hearts of the people who saw him race.

Laurent "The Professor" Fignon

Aug 12, 1960 - Aug 31, 2010

1 comment:

  1. Heart breaking.... my Wife even commented on the loss. I have always found Laurent an inspiration. My first three cycling posters in the early 80's... #1 Eddy Merckx, #2 Francesco Moser, #3 I had two Laurent Fignon posters -- one was a Gitane ad, which currently hangs in the SoundPony... DeeAnn thought we should have a memorial toast at the Pony soon... maybe even hang a black ribbon or put the French flag at half mast.

    Fignon's death has truly been a loss to me... maybe just another sign that my youth has gone.

    By the way his nickname was not just centered around those intellectual appearing glasses, but due to the fact that he had to choose between going to the school of veterinary medicine and a racing career... Most racers of the time were from the working class, and not college educated... hence the nickname.

    Adieu Le Professor

    ReplyDelete