Monday, March 28, 2011

Imitation is...

Sorry folks, but I can't keep up with the posting and race recaps with all the racing, training, brewing, and oh yeah that little annoyance called work.  Yesterday had to be one of the coldest days I have ever raced.  I wore fleece knickers, I only wear knickers when it is freezing...and it was.  I even wore a long-sleeve jersey for the first time in a race.  Having to choose what to wear, what not to wear, was a challenge in and of itself.  It would have been nice to be Pro and have a team car to take off/get more clothing. 

We always talk of Pro, being Pro, and Pro-ness.  We try and emulate what we know, think and feel is Pro.  Racing in adverse conditions is not Pro, Professional riders do it because it is their job, we do it because we see our heroes in long break-aways in the rain and cold.  If they do it then by all means I need to do what they do. 

Speaking of imitating Pros.  At 200m to go yesterday I decided that I was Philippe Gilbert and went for the suicide attack while the sprinters were taking a nap.  It worked brilliantly right up to about 20m when I was passed by five surging rocket blasts from the field. Racing is all about learning, and I learned a few things yesterday.  First 200m is a little long for me to attack, but even with a good enough drop even someone with an anemic sprint like mine can create a decent gap.  However short lived it might be.  I also learned that when viewed from behind it seemed a stupid move, yes but if it had stuck would it have been stupid?  Also, if I had it all over to do again, I would.  I took the gamble, didn't have the horsepower to stick it, but I'm a little surprised I finished where I did considering the circumstances.  I'm not Pro, I will never be Pro, but I have teammates that worked for me and made me feel Pro.

Again, I can't me more pleased with finishing this race.  I flatted in this race last year and chased like mad to catch, to no avail.  I was feeling good last year and had a top 10-15 in the legs.  I have one more race with unfinished business, and then I will take some time off.  I think the Mountain West is calling, of course with all the snow they have been getting it might be some time before I can get out that direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment