Thursday, March 31, 2011

I dare you

Marty: How u doing??
Marty: I'm fair
Me: It's nap time, I'm tired
Marty: U riding??
Me: Struggling, you?
Marty: A little...I'm tired today, and being a baby
Me: I can't seem to get off my ass.
Marty: Let's go ride...Easy & short...Then a guiness @ blue rose
Marty: WWBD
Marty: What would boonen do
Me: What time?
Marty: 530
Marty: WNR parking lot
Me: Ok I'm in.
When I got home yesterday I had no intentions of getting on a bike, believe me I needed to.  I was being lazy, no excuses no lies to tell.  Most of the time when I "feel" tired, it is just lazy taking over and making me weak.  When I got the texts I was thinking oh, great, this is the last thing I want to do right now.  This couch feels so good, and it is going to take an act of god to get me off of it.  Well, except maybe to get a beer out of the fridge, I haven't quite trained the dogs to fetch beers yet.

Don't get me wrong, Marty is the essence of cool and is a deity in his own right, but it was the crowbar of DARE that got me off the couch.  What would Boonen do?  Yeah those are fighting words and the gauntlet was dropped.  I'm no Tom Boonen, but if Marty is going to throw around that kind of wordy firepower -I only had one thing to do.  Kit up.

If I were to pass on a Flandrian ride with no reason except for the comfort of central heating and a comfy couch, that would undoubtedly make me a waste of good air.  What the heck, misery loves company, I've been called out and now I have company.  Hat, base layer, arm warmers, wool socks, embro -plenty of embro, and I was out the door.

Twenty mins latter I rolled into an almost abandon WNR parkinglot with no other Tom's kits in sight.  Oh, there is Paul's truck, leaving?  He's been spotted and he knows it, now there are three.  Marty rolls in and then Grant -four.  Brownbear is late as usual and we wait for him to kit up.  We roll out as a five man squad, it's us versus the wind and cold.  Misery indeed loves company, and suffering with teammates builds character and forms bonds of facing a common enemy.

Marty and I left our companions at the end of the ride and went for a beer.  The Blue Rose was packed.  I ordered two, and we enjoyed one of the best post-ride beers I have had in a long time.  Good ride, Good beer, Good company.  Screw you!!! couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment