Monday, February 7, 2011

What's in a Name?

Pain Cave, Hurt Locker, Swamp of Despair, Special Place, Green Zone, Happy Place

We have names for various states of mental and physical good and evil.  You say Pain Cave to someone and most likely they know what you are talking about.  My fear is that we use these "places" all too often, or there is a misuse of the moniker that we place on how we are feeling.  Overuse is a bad thing, it degrades the meaning of the expression.  Very similar to the boy who cried wolf, you can only go to the well so many times.



Come inside my pain cave, and I'll bludgeon you.

You don't have to scream, because your ears are bleeding.
That's perfectly normal when someone bludgeons you.
The bleeding part that I was just referring to.
Paaaaaaain Caaaaaaave
Paaaaaaain Caaaaaaave
Paaaaaaain Caaaaaaave
Paaaaaaain Caaaaaaave . . . (big finish!)
(Jammin!)
(Nirvana eat your heart out!)
Pretty, pretty pain cave
(Pain cave)
Pretty, pretty pain cave
(So pretty the cave we spoke of!)
Pretty, pretty pain cave in the pain cave
(If it wasn't pretty we wouldn't call it pretty!)
Come into my pretty pretty pain cave.
Come into my pretty pretty pain cave.
Come into my pretty pretty pain caaave . . .

This SNL clip was aired sometime in 1992?  Not sure the origin of "the Pain Cave", but we all know what it means.

The Pain Cave is different for everyone, we cannot all have the same cave.  I feel that some caves are nicer than others, people are always in them, or are they?  Did you really go to the Pain cave or did you just hang out in the entrance, possibly take a seat in the foyer?  My Pain Cave has a waiting room like a hospital ER, I have to spend time "waiting" to get in, and then once I actually get in, it is truly a horrible place.  One that is without description, possibly due to the fact that I block it from my memory, but once I get back I know.  I know that I have been here before, and sometimes I go and do work in the cave.  I dig it just a little deeper, make the edges rougher, darker and more painful.  It is not a pretty place, and one cannot really know the existence of the Pain Cave until fully immersed.  You might not remember exactly the time spent in the cave, but one thing is always the same.  You know that you have been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment