Friday, February 11, 2011

Razor Burned

Why do cyclist shave their legs?

This is the question that everyone asks or wants to ask.  It is a great question, one that has no real answer.  I can tell you why I shave my legs, but that only answers the question: why do you shave your legs?  The Pros shave because of the pre/post-race massage.  Having hair on your legs and getting a vigorous deep tissue massage kills if you have hair on your legs.  There you have it.  Sort of. 

What you say, aerodynamics?  There is no aeor-advantage to having silky smooth legs.  Look up aerodynamics on a smooth surface and you will find that the boundary layer gets sucked down and sticks onto a smooth surface and causes drag.  If you knew the exact place where the leading edge of your leg comes into contact with the wind, you would not shave in this area and allow a little hair growth to act as vortex generators and this might actually increase the airflow and the aerodynamics.  This is all probably negated do to the fact that your legs are in constant motion and the leading edge is forever changing.  Shaving for aero advantages ---- BUSTED.

I shave my legs...wait for it...wait for it... to belong.  It is a badge that I wear to "prove" that I am indeed a cyclist.  I will admit that I actually like to have shaved legs, I don't like to shave my legs.  It is a peer pressure, join the club initiation.  It is merely not enough to don spandex, a funny helmet and shoes to be seen as a cyclist, or should I say "racer"?

When I started riding mtbikes years ago I swore I would never wear spandex.  I broke that one first.  I also swore I would never shave my legs.  That came later, and now without fail I shave my legs, not just for races -but all the time.  Here it is mid-winter and I have not been on an outdoor ride in weeks, but I still reach for the razor.  Does it take time, yes...but this time of year it is nice to spend just a little extra time in a nice hot shower.  Now that we have solved that mystery.  The next question that is more a thought than a verbalization.

How far do you shave up? 

Personal preference, if you must know...I stop just above the tan-line.  You naughty little cheeky monkey.

1 comment:

  1. Just yesterday one of the trainers in the gym asked me, "Do you shave your legs?" and I said yes. Then she said "Why?" I was stumped and forgot everything from that part of the racing 101 class at that moment.

    All the way.

    ReplyDelete