Friday, February 11, 2011

Cracked

Oh the weather outside...is horrible, and I've been forced indoors for the last couple of weeks.  I was stranded up at work and was forced to take 6 days off of the bike.  I know cry me a river.  I've been on the trainer and rollers for the last four days and have had some really good torture sessions.  I shoveled a ton of snow yesterday so I decided to take a day off from the bike (exhausted).  I have to work the evening shift to cover for an employee so I got the rare opportunity to get in a morning workout.

I got on the rollers for a nice warm-up and then switched to the trainer to do some VO2 intervals.  I made it about half-way into the third interval when the body staged a revolt.  It demanded food, or it would not continue to operate at suggested capacity.  I checked to see what I had eaten for breakfast and came up blank, well except for a couple of cups of coffee.  Boom!  Problem solved, no fuel = no work.  I cracked due to idiot syndrome.  My only comfort was that I now knew why I felt so bad on the bike.  I mean really, who knew nutrition was such a big part of performance?

I will try again tomorrow, except for this time I will have a "real" breakfast, not just coffee.  Don't get me wrong I love my coffee, but it just doesn't get the job done in the fuel department.  It is very essential but not life sustaining -now I know.

I hope this snow melts off in the next couple of weeks, first test of the season is Feb 26th.  I don't want to go into my first crit fresh off of the trainer.  I have been on the rollers, but bike handling skills are probably at an all time low.  I am a danger to myself and to others, lock me up.  No, don't lock me up -get me out on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment