Monday, October 18, 2010

Work trip

Sitting at 30,000' is probably the last place one should be thinking about riding, but with a trip to Atlanta in my future, that is all I can think about. Well, that and "what an emergency exit procedure would look like..." I'm thinking that the next seven days I will be bike-less and this can't suck any more than it already does. Traveling is pointless unless it is for a good reason like a trip to go ride, ski, but for work?


So I find myself in the company of several people who have no idea what a peloton is or what the word even looks like. I know that I am sounding one dimensional, and I am. I find it very hard to identify with these people I am sharing a drink. The next seven days are going to be a chore. It is difficult to relate to people who do not share similar interests even when you are in the same industry. This is a personal fault of mine that I hope to work on in the next several days. Right now culture shock is full gas and I am adjusting to the locals.

I hope that the stationary trainer in the fitness center will be enough for me not to get DT's. The weather is perfect here and I would love to go explore what Atlanta has to offer by bike. Lucky for me I am sleeping well and there is no chance that my Tyler Durden will surface, but I will try to make the best out of my "single serving friends".

I don't know how many more nights I will be able to go out with these guys and drink like champions. This is a true sport that is unrecognized by any regulatory body other than the police. Somebody please help me, I am merely a boy and a mans sport. I know my way around a beer tap, but this is criminal.

By the way the weather is beautiful, and it is killing me. I am going to fake an injury to get out of here and back on the bike. Food is good and the people are awesome. Not much more to say, other than I am having a little better time with my co-workers. Must not be so tired.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for ya, man. It's difficult for me to hang with peeps that don't have a life; ie, don't know anything about cycling. I just can't do it. I look at them as inferior and my spending time with them only causes a severe loss cool points; of which I'm already at a deficit. So it's a rather painful "accomplishment."

    Hang in there man, you'll be out of the abyss of the non-accomplished and back home in the family of the superior in no time.

    ReplyDelete