Saturday, October 23, 2010

Routine

We go to work, eat sleep, go to school. Routines are a safety net, our Linus blankie. We get used to doing something and it becomes safe, it gets ingrained into our lives. Soon it is your life, you are on autopilot. Then something out of the norm happens and your routine changes, the proverbial monkey wrench. We are by instinct creatures of habit, and when change occurs we fight it tooth and nail, but eventually the new habit becomes habitual...life.



I have been out of town working, I mean working, and it has totally thrown my life into a turmoil of sorts, or out of sorts, however you look at it. I changed my routine to fit my schedule my life changed to accommodate my new surroundings. Get up, work out (pending hangover) get coffee, get ride to work, work, eat, work, eat, work, work, work, go to hotel, clean up, meet coworkers in hotel bar, pickle liver, sleep, and repeat. Six days of this and then catch a flight home. Try to get back into the routine once home.

Life is just a routine that follows a new routine that turns into the old routine. Change, we feel is a negative, but it can be an enormous positive as long as you are able to learn something new with the change. We fight change because it is not part of our routine, it is not safe/easy to change. The benefit lies in the lessons that we gain from our change in routine. The new people, the new knowledge, the growth that we gain by changing ourselves to fit into a new routine, no matter how significant or how minuscule it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment