Friday, October 1, 2010

unfaithful

I'm a cheater.  I love my bike.  I love my bikes, that's right plural, bikes.  I love to ride my road bike, but sometimes I'm thinking about my MTB.  Yes, I am coming clean, I'm trying to salvage my relationship with my roadbike, well to be totally honest, I have two road bikes.  Oh, man this is worse than I thought, forget I said anything.  I'm just going to keep on the juggling act and hope I don't get caught.  Maybe polygamy is the answer, I did live in Utah for 5 years, do I qualify for some parting gifts?

I fell in love with mountain biking in Utah, and consummated the relationship in Colorado.  I left the mountains to come to Tulsa (long story...read the book when it comes out) and the guys at the shop said "ride Turkey Mountain".  I said "where's that" "Just across the river" with a finger pointed toward the West.  "What? There's no mountains here, I came from the mountains.  I know mountains, that's a hill at best."  And to this day I still get humbled by the "hill" that is Turkey Mountain.  I have sacrificed blood, skin, and equipment to that overgrown speed bump, and it still treats me with disrespect.

I don't know when I started to cheat on my MTB, but it happened about five years ago and I've been faithfully unfaithful ever since.  I have recently been involved with a new mountain bike and the road bikes have been hanging on the garage wall a lot more than they are accustomed.  My first true untainted love on two wheels is the Mtb and always will be.  I will cheat on my the Mtb, once a dog always a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment