Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dopes

love him, hate him, don't care. I'm not a big or small fan of the guy, but a positive is another negative to cycling. We can't take to many more hits before this house of cards falls. Cycling is already having a hard time seeing out of one blackened eye. Now the other?

I would like to think the guy is as dirty as he is sportsmanlike (Andy/Chain), but all that does is hurt our sport. So what, everyone is juiced? No one rides clean, even amateurs are getting busted here in the States.  I'm getting so jaded by everything that keeps happening in cycling.
 
How is it that we take such a pure thing and taint it?  We can stand at the finish line behind the barriers and contemplate what the pros have to do to make it, but until we spend any time in their saddle we will never know what it is that motivates someone to cheat.  The easy answer is always money, but what if the motivation is to be the best?  What if you dope to keep your job? 
 
Faith is broken, and now when we see something awesome we have to question the validity of the action.  If you follow cycling you have favorites, and any day you could get onto the interweb and find out that your guy is a cheat.  I have faith in my favorites, even after putting my belief in Floyd only to have that blown up.  Thanks Floyd.  I don't know why he doped, and it does not matter why, it only matters that he did. 
 
Doping is and has always been in the culture of cycling, not only cycling but in the human race.  My head hurts...Take a pill, I'm tired...Take a pill, I'm fat...Take a pill, I can't sleep...Take a pill, I want to win...Take a pill.  I want the easy way, I want the quick fix and I want it yesterday.  We put it on TV, in magazines, on radio, it's everywhere, the instant world.  No time to cook, microwave, fast food.  We never have time to do anything, I should say we don't have the time to do anything the right way.

1 comment:

  1. It was Andy's fault he dropped the chain. Regardless, this sport is just as much about the machines as it is the athlete.

    Do we even remember how it is that Andy got the yellow jersey to begin with? He got it due to a mechanical that Contador had. It' just part of the sport.

    ReplyDelete