Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cycle Fandango

I rode the Tulsa Bicycling Club's Fall Century today.  I went for the metric.  Counting today, I have ridden this ride three times.  This ride was my first Century, and today was the first time to not ride the Century.  It was one of the most beautiful mornings to be on a bike, low 60's no wind to speak of and great company.  Could you ask for anything more?  The ride is very well organized, excellent support, cue sheets, and the volunteers are super friendly.  Have to do this one every year.

Speaking of great rides.  Cycle Fandango is coming up Oct. 16-17.  This is a do not miss ride.  If you happen to find yourself in the Tulsa area, I say this is a must do.  Last year I was talked into doing this ride.  I had no intention in riding down to Greenleaf State Park and camping out overnight and then riding back the next day.  Much less, I did not want to.  A teammate asked me to go, if I recall correctly it was probably over beers and I'm easy after a good pint, and I reluctantly said...Yes. 

The morning of Fandango was cold, not cool, but cold.  It was a little painful to start, but when the sun was out it was warm.  The whole ride was an exercise in clothing heat management.  The route is great and probably one of the best supported.  The rest stops were great, and the people who manned the stops were awesome.  We were out for a leisure ride and we stopped at every rest stop, chatted with everyone and had a great time. 

The final stop at "the Ranch House" was awesome.  Our gear was waiting for us, along with beer and sodas.  We made camp and then took a nice hot shower.  Food was served and we enjoyed the view of Lake Greenleaf.  We met several people from out of town, and knew several locals, it was a good mix.  They even had a band drive all the way from Tulsa to provide entertainment.  After a good set by the band and a few "man sodas" we turned in for the night.

We awoke the next morning to the sounds and smells of chuck wagon cooking.  Breakfast that is.  Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy.  I had a second helping, I advise you to do the same.  It was a very cold morning and we did not want to change into our racing kits, while everyone else was putting on full winter gear.  I put every piece of gear that I had on and hopped the weather was going to warm up.  It turned out to be a great ride.



Do this ride.  Do it for me.  I am going to have to miss this one, and I am not real happy.  Take my advise and you will have an experience unlike any t-shirt ride.  Support is A+, scenery is A, people A+, Food A.

1 comment:

  1. I agree hands down my favorite 2 day ride. Good times and good memories.

    ReplyDelete