Thursday, January 12, 2012

Last Tango in Durango

XC skiing is hard work, I don't like hard work, but I do like this.  If I lived in a snow-covered geographical location I could see myself getting all into to this.  That is just what I need another gear intensive sport that requires mountains of time to get good at, like I don't already have a garage full of toys.  Jack of All, Master of None.

With the sun directly overhead and my stomach sending my brain text messages, it is time to eat.  I do the whole man thing and go ask the rental guy where to get a good pint.  And some food.  The Old Schoolhouse just up the road.  Pizzas and beer.  Tons of atmosphere.  Closed.  Now what?  We are about 20some odd miles from Durango and starving.  Guess we are headed back to Durango, I am not going to fight the crowd at Purgatory Durango Mnt Resort.  Thirteen-ish miles and I spy a tiny Restaurant sign sandwiched between Gas and Groceries.

First impressions would have most people running for the hills or back to civilization, but the smell said "Stay".  Oh, heck yeah, pizza-by-the-slice -to order nonetheless.  Well worth the stop and I highly recommend.  Fuel level says F, time to humble oneself with some more XC.  Sun was warm, no wind and it was perfect.  The boss and I did another small loop, crashed some more, got tired and hung it up.  One more notch in the belt of life, XC skiing -check.

On the drive back to Durango it was decided by majority rule that we need to check out and quality control a local brewer.  Durango Brewery a few miles up and on the left.  I made a quick scan of the cars parked in the parking lot and determined we were headed into Locals Territory.  Other than stepping out of an Oklahoma platted Rav, we were pseudo-local.  Never look at a beer menu when wanting to present yourself as a local, just ask for the IPA.  No, really I just look to make sure they have an IPA, but what kind of brewery would you be if you did not have an IPA.  Come on.

The Boss texted the FiL to come out and have a pint.  I quickly made sure to get some samples for the FiL and wife.  They are not accustomed to craft beer.  Not to fear, we were able to get them into a Golden Ale for the FiL and a Hefeweizen for FiL's wife.  There was a slight mix up in the order and we had a Golden Ale that was orphaned.  Not to fear again, for I am a beer disposal unit and I adopted and promptly drank.  After a few pints time to hit the town to rent some snowshoes for the in-laws for an outing in the morning.

So I was about 0.0005secs from wetting my pants.  Don't judge, I had a few pints and then a cup of coffee.  It was the coffee that put me over the edge.  Thank goodness for the restroom in the back office of the snowshoe rental place, otherwise I would be facing indecent exposure charges or an embarrassing pant wetting story.  So it is time to get something to eat again and we head to another Durango brewery named Steamworks.  It was loaded, packed.  It was like an hour wait or something crazy bad like that.  It was packed full of tourists.  Not my cup of tea.  Time for a walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment