Monday, November 1, 2010

Transitions

It is that time of year when the race season is over, unless you are running through sand and jumping over barriers, and it is time to start thinking about transition. Riding should just be for fun, not that it is ever for anything else (intervals). Wattage and Heart rate mean nothing. Time spent on the bike is only time spent on a bike, hopefully it is with friends.  It is all about the ride and enjoying being outdoors while the weather is still warm.

This is one of the reasons that I love to mountain bike so much, because it affords me the ability to just go out and enjoy biking and there is no agenda involved. Unless, the agenda is to have a good time and rail some wicked fast berms. The mtb is pure to me, because I do not race it, therefore I do not train on it, which in turn means that time spent in the saddle is pure. Pure fun. The mtb is a perfect tool for transition, I'm not looking at HR, I don't care about time (except when I want more), and wattage on a mtb is a little overboard -even for me.

Transition is a good time of year to slow down and enjoy life on two wheels, or enjoy another activity that gets pushed by the wayside because of your racing and training habit. You might even get to spend some quality time with a significant other, catch up on some projects, or just ride even more now that time and distance are irrelevant. Whatever you do with this space on the calendar, use it for good not evil. Unwind, decompress, heal, chill, or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment