Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Off

Why is it so hard to take a day off?  I always end up having to take a day when the weather is perfect.  Call it my impeccable timing.  I was off the bike for nine days when I went to ATL for work, and when I got home all I have wanted to do is ride my bike.  I mean, there is nothing wrong with that, now is there?  Well, except for the small fact that, that is the only thing I want to do.  One might say that I have a problem, I don't go to "meetings" so therefore I do not have a problem.  Right?

Back to taking time off the bike...I rode myself silly this last week, Sunday to Sunday everyday, and even two days on the mountain bike.  Right around 18hrs in eight days.  That might qualify as a habit, but I call it a hobby.  So here I sit writing about not riding; because I wanted to go ride the mountain bike today, but the body said that I should probably do something a little less active.  TV it is, thank you Netflix.  I put some new bartape on the Ridley, changed out my 12-25 to an 11-23 on the powertap.  The Giant got a good cleaning and some new Candys.  The rain bike got some love and I have it in the bull pen for the next ride.

It is difficult to stop, to say to yourself that a day off is the right thing to do.  It is like trying to ride slow when the legs are feeling good.  Most of the time when the legs are screaming, it is to stop, but every now and then they are screaming to go...go...go.  Discipline is no fun, and telling yourself to go slow can be harder than pushing an insane amount of watts with the HR in the red and the legs are cursing.  Don't you love it when you are on a recovery day and you are chill on your local bike path and you get buzzed.  Buzzed by the Pathelete, you know that guy, the one who drills the bike path like it is a Worlds TT, or the bell lap on the Champs.  It takes every fiber to control your "chase instinct" and not bury said Pathelete. 

I'm trying, I'm trying to enjoy my time off the bike.  I did get to watch a movie today, got some much needed bike maintenance done, did a little post on the blog, and still feel like I missed out on something.  Now that sounds like a problem.  Until I find a "meeting" for my problem I guess I will just have to go the local Wednesday Night Ride, Tuesday Night Crit, and weekend team rides. 

Call it what it is

No comments:

Post a Comment