Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend Pass

My wife went with a group of ladies to Chicago to run the Chicago Marathon over the weekend. I told her that they could go to Chicago, just to shop, they did not have to use "running a marathon" as an excuse. Anyway, with the wife gone that pretty much gave me the weekend pass to do what I wanted. Oh, the thought of a pants-free weekend, dishes piling up, empty pizza boxes and bottles. Sounds like a solo weekend dream. No, I loaded up the kids dogs my road and mtbike and just enough clothes that I had to double up on shirts. Note: I had one extra cycling kit that did not get used. I was in AMA Texas in 5.5hrs. Twelve hours after that I found myself railing some sweet Texas singletrack.




Palo Duro Canyon is Texas' replica of the Grand Canyon. It is just a hole in the ground, but with some excellent singletrack to be had. I think there is about 18-20miles of trail that has everything you could ask for in fast flowing trails. If you find yourself in the Amarillo TX area it is a must. $5 a person for the State Parks entry fee for the full day -well worth it. My Mom accompanied me to the park and she read in the car while I proceeded to destroy all the trails in a looped frenzy. It is a different style of ride than what I get here at Turkey Mnt, and I didn't want to let off the gas. I wasted myself in the name of speed and flow, when the dust settled I had just under 18miles in an hour and a half, and some very tired dirty legs. My stomach was ready for something more substantial than a Clif bar.



Post ride nutrition is best had at Country Pride restaurant just outside Amarillo. It has been a family eatery tradition since before I was born. I recommend anything that they cook. It is as hole-in-the-wall, greasy spoon, country as they come. Do not pass it up. The Tex-Mex is more Tex than Mex, but the enchiladas are to die for, really too many of them and you will have a blockage. Besides being a giant truckstop I do not know what the industry is in Amarillo? What I do know...everyone goes out to eat, and the restaurants in and out of town are great, top that off with Texas beef raised just miles from your plate and you have a winning combo. (not a good place to be vegan, sorry friends much respect to you, but I love my cow, on a plate that is) Oh, and if you happen to be a fan of the food from south of the border, then you are in luck. Tex-Mex is super good, don't go to a chain for Mex-food, go to the little local places, it is unlike anything you have ever had.



Sunday morning I took the Belgian workhorse out for a little jaunt on the Texas Farm to Market roads for my second ever road ride in my home town. I had tired legs so I started into the wind, but when I turned and had the tailwind I crushed. Power dropped, HR dropped, Speed showed me numbers I get when going downhill. A Texas tailwind is worth about 5-7mph avg with about half the power. Check that again, it is not a misprint, and it is no BS. Now, it is no fun working in the headwind, but once you earn it, the tailwind is without words. Fast. I was very surprised at how fast and smooth the roads are, even out in the middle-of-no-where-country-farmland. Of course the Ridley does have a little to do with the smoothness, but the roads are in great shape. I have not seen cleaner shoulders, not even in Kansas. Now I am back in the land of potholes, glass, cracks and rocks....... and that's the good roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment