Friday, October 8, 2010

Tis the Season

Let's see...What is going on in this great metropolis we call Green Country aka Tulsa?  What is Tulsa Time anyway?  I have been here for 11 years and we have T-town this and Tulsa Time that, really if anyone can explain in 25 words or less I would love to know.  Educate me.

The Tulsa State Fair is in full swing, how is it that Tulsa can have a State Fair and so can OKC?  How does that work.  Kind of like Tulsa International Airport, should it actually be called Intra-national or am I just splitting hairs.  Back to the Fair, sorry State Fair...kind of like Vegas on a $250 budget.  I have not been to the Fair in a very very long time, actually I have never been to the Tulsa SF, my last Fair was in Amarillo TX at the Tri-State Fair.  Not sure which States make up the Tri, but it is a people watching extravaganza, any State Fair is a plethora of people watching.  That would be my draw to go to the Fair, not the fancy rides built by Billy-Jo-Bob, not the food on a stick, not the livestock with blue ribbons.  I love the humanity, if we had zoos with people in them I would probably pay to go.  Here we have the Wall St Banker in his natural habitat, over here we have the Subway token attendant, and over there is the State Fair Carny.

Cross season is here.  I had a lot of really funny lead-ins with that line, but I try not to offend with the written word.  My Grandmother always said "never put anything on paper that you cannot eat", I know this is not paper, but it still applies.  Dust off the cowbells, fill the coolers, and find your angry disposition, 'cause Cyclo-cross season is about to be in full swing here in NE OK.  There is a race in BA this Saturday, and you have two choices, 1) get the cross bike out and raise some hell.  2) Go to the race and raise some hell.  If you spectate at a 'Cross race, you had better set aside some bail money.  'Cross is crazy and the fans have to be crazy.  You have to get involved, Yell at the crazies on skinny tires, Ring that cowbell until it hurts, and drink until you are cyclo-cross eyed.  We as Americans will never be able to understand the true pageantry that the Belgians exude.  They love their, that's right THEIR, sport.

Do not forget Cycle Fandango.  Check out my blog on this subject.  Better yet don't read a word that I have written about Cycle Fandango.  Just Go Do It.  Don't listen to how much fun I had.  Go have your own.  You will thank me later.  You will.  I like dark beer, dark chocolate, long walks on the beach, and cash always makes a nice gift.  If you are going to Fandango to see me, I am sad, very sad to report that I will be working in the ATL (that's right).  So, I will be jealous of you and your Fandango.  There is always next year.  We will always have Paris.  I'll write from the road aka ATL.  The worst part is that I will not be taking a bike.

Get outside.  Stop playing on the interweb and go outside.  I'm talking to you.  Put down the half gallon of ice cream, walk away and nobody gets hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment