Friday, September 17, 2010

Vuelta stage 19

Ok, I have been pressed for time so I skipped through the stage and kind of made my own highlight reel. I did watch the last 30 or so K, of a 231k stage; roughly 144miles. That is a classic, really that is a long race. Heck that is a long drive in a car.

I really don't want to write about this stage. Too much happened in the last 5k that it would take me too long to put it out in an intelligible composition with my poor excuse of journalistic dribble. That being said, there is something to be said for watching a stage on the interweb. Thanks Al Gore.

With a stage that looks more like a classic, you have to put your money on red -I mean put your money on the Rouleurs the hardmen the classic guys. In all reality it looked like a pancake flat sprinter's stage, well except for the bumpiness at the end and even some cobbles in there. The "pure" sprinters got taken for a ride in the last 5k getting drilled by the rouleurs stealing the stage.

I had money on Cav to roll with his momentum and take his fourth. I had not done my homework and did not realize how technically hard or how much elevation gain there was in the final 5k. Otherwise, having seen the results I would have picked Gilbert, yeah he won so knowing this he is/was my pick. I am a fan of Gilbert, what power, style, presence. He attacked the field last year at la Vuelta, then hid behind a wall as the peloton chased and then jumped on the end. Too funny. He can also win races. How do you like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment