Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Edge 500 (longer term)

I've had my Garmin for two months now, and I am getting used to it more and more. It is so easy to swap from bike to bike. I've used it on my fixie, and I have recently thrown it on my mountain bike. I am so geeked out with downloading a MTB ride and seeing it on a map. You are either rolling your eyes or you are a geek just like me.

The problem with the unit not syncing with the PowerTap requires a little extra step when getting the bike ready for a ride. I will not turn my Edge on until I have spun up the rear wheel to "wake up" the PowerTap. So when the unit is searching for satellites, HR, and Power it has something to latch onto right away. So far this seems to alleviate the problem of the unit trying to talk to other ANT+ power meters. I will always check to see if the head unit is synced to my 'Tap by going into the menu under settings, ANT+ power, Sensor Details. Do not do a rescan with other power meters in the area, this will screw everything up. Do not calibrate unless you know you are connected to your power meter. It will show the same ID number every time, if it is not you have problems.

It did drop a whole one hour file last Friday. This is an issue that I cannot explain, and it is just a little annoying. No explanation, no fixes? Glad it was not a training ride.

One really annoying issue that I cannot figure out is pause time added. I am not sure, but I think this happens in the download to WKO+. It adds the stop time, ie...stopping at a convince store I will turn off the unit or just push stop. When I download the file the time that was spent off or stopped is added into the file, it is just flatline O's for all the metrics. Not too big an issue but it will Kill averages, and will inflate TSS. It can be solved with a little snip snip.

One function that I have not used and will try soon (when I think about it) is the ability to ride a course (or file) you have stored in the unit. I am going to have to do my homework on this, but it seems like a great way to "test", ie.. TT or circuit laps. It will allow you to "race yourself" from a previous ride. Like I said, I will have to do my homework on this and will get back with you. Now, all I have to do is to remember to do it. Good luck with that.

Stay tuned for my even longer term review.

No comments:

Post a Comment