Wednesday, August 11, 2010

loss

My Dad lost a good friend yesterday, she had been a faithful companion for 10+ years. He and my Mom rescued Gilda, a pit-mix and she has been a member of the family since.

It is said that Dogs are man's best friend. Why? Dogs love us. We lock them in crates, throw them in the back yard, forget to feed them, but yet they unconditionally want to be with us. It is said that all dogs come from the wolf, a pack animal. When you adopt a dog you become one of their pack, and an inseparable bond is formed.

Dogs are not "best friends" they are family, they are "our kids". They are not pets. Dogs require more from us than to just own them. When you adopt a dog you are making a commitment to a relationship to a new family member. They require our companionship.

My Dad and Gilda went everywhere together, Sonic for a coney, into town for parts, tractor ride to load hay. One of my favorite pictures of my Dad is of him and Gilda. My Dad in his Laz-y-boy with Gilda all 80lbs of her in his lap. She had a bed in my parent's room, but ended up with them in bed more often than not. When I talk to my Dad most of the conversations about what he did that day start out "I took the dogs..." I know there is a void on the family farm in Texas today, and one less coney to order at Sonic.

The next time you come home spend a little time with your dog. That is all they want. See how happy they are to see you?

Make your dog's day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment