Sunday, July 11, 2010

Stage 8

Holy Schleck!!!

I hate to add to the already vast ocean of Armstrong -vs- Contador attention, but I have to say that besides the number of casualties of this Tour, Armstrong has had the WORST LUCK. Could he have won? Don't know and will not get into it. Could he have beaten Contador? See previous statement. Too bad Levi is not just a little closer to the podium. 2:14 down, I don't know, it is do-able. Will Lance work as a Super-Super domistique? He has in Cali. Something to watch.

I think I might have written about a little know quantity called Cadel Evans, yes I have. Told you guys to watch him, look where he is now. I know, there is two thirds left. Evans is dangerous, dude should have a warning label on him. Step on his dog and he'll "rip you head off". How cool is it that the rainbow jersey is in yellow? Out of the recent World Champs, Evans is doing the position proud and giving the jersey the respect that it is owed. Brilliant. Psst...Big George rides for Cadel, speaking of George...where the H is he? Did he anger every cameraman out on the course? I have not seen him. It's like Where's Waldo with that guy. Everybody loves that guy, put a camera on him.

Old News Alert: The wheel attack after the stage 6. If you ever need to attack someone or defend yourself, use the David Miller bike throw. A Wheel, really?

Andy, Andy, Andy, where have you been all season? Your attacks have been anemic and easily brought in. Oh, wait. Did you see the last 2 ks on the Avoriaz? Andy blew me away when he went, and everyone else for that matter. Sami Sanchez bridged but was unable to sprint it out for the finish. Contador looked like he might go with Andy, but faded and let the others in his group take up the chase. Not a big fan of Contador, so I was yelling for Andy to bury el pistolero. If Cantador never wins another race, it will not be soon enough. I hate the "gun pointy finger" thing that he does. Can I get an amen?

You might not have noticed, but Evans did have a team mate with him on the final climb. BMC is probably the most underrated overlooked team that could win it all at the Tour. I wanted Vino to pull the T-Mobile move and attack Contador, I waited for it and waited. With all the horsepower that Contador had with him, why did he not throw down? Is that all Astana can do?

I'm going to beat a dead horse with this, but what about Ryder? He is hanging in, who knew? How do you have such a talent like that on a team and not know the GC potential? Is he a Cinderella story? I'm watching him just to see what he can do. Jonathan V has been using a thoroughbred to do draft horse work. ?????

Idea: How about we interview the riders after they get off the bike? Cameras OK, sticking a microphone in their face and mobbing them with stupid questions NOT OK. They just finished a million km, climbed to the moon and back, and Frankie A wants to ask how their day was after losing half an hour to the stage winner.

Rest Day tomorrow, I'll comb all the news I can and try and recap something, if not I'll make something up.

2 comments:

  1. Glenn duh

    Right on!!! I have to say contador is impressive to watch, but that finger pointing gun thing is just plain silly... the Esp footballers would never do such a thing... if a Spainard can't come up with something cooler... then just give a queen style wave -- the Queen mother or Isabella, is fine by me -- and the hat w the pistalero -- penis envy i think. Almost as bad as Ricco picking his own nickname... heard you could lose your nose over that one.

    Ryder is rocking his big-ass self over the climbs and the cobbles -- power deluxe.

    LA -- what can you say -- Joop Zotemelk won the Tour at 38; i think maybe even 39, and my recollection is that one of his Domi's took him down in the yellow on a major climb -- he got up with his old man aching bones caught the lead group and won the tour that year -- that's my recollection, but from an old soul.
    LA Bad luck for sure, but a bit of poor fitness. When your riding on the rivet -- technique is comprimised, and one has a tendency to miss the finer points -- like catching a pedal, and rolling a tire. Not throwin stones -- "i'm just sayin". Never really done that myself... And if i actually made that move could never had caught back on even in my youth...
    LA not a quiter fosure which is more impressive than winning -- maybe its the beauty of the sport -- the art of the moment -- it's the process, and not the endpoint in which we find meaning... oops I must be smokin crack.. Who's winning the tour???

    mb

    mbeal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best (but crude) nickname for
    Contador = "Finger Banger" via Bike Snob. This video of Lance's crash shows that it was worse than what I witnessed while watching the Vs. coverage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHBftK8okyA

    ReplyDelete