Monday, March 21, 2011

Milan - San Remo

Is anyone keeping track?  I am about to have to take my shoes and socks off to keep count on Goss' wins for this season.  If you are into numbers, this monument makes an even 8.  I would have to say that Goss is on form right now.  Did you see him ride in support of Tony Martin in Paris-Nice?  He won stage 3 and then did some monster work for the PanzerWagon in the mountain stages -really, a bunch sprinter.  Mark Cavendish's lead out man is a WorldTour sprint destroying Classics rider.  Who knew?

Pop quiz hot shot...who is going to headline HTC in the Grands?  You have one of the best sprinters in the world, if not of all time in Mark Cavendish, and you have the white hot Goss who is untouchable right now.  HTC put the number 1 on Cavo for MSR and Goss was wearing the 2.  Cheeky???  Is this real or is it slight-of-hand?  What would you do with this kind of horse power in the fold?  I haven't even mentioned the name Mark Renshaw, Yet, ok.  Mark Renshaw like Goss has just been a lead-out man for Cavo, what do you do with his speed?  Here's what I would do...I would spread it out and win every single day race, and sprint stage for the year.  Just tell me that HTC doesn't have that kind of ability. 

I didn't get to watch MSR and I feel that I missed out on a Classic of a Monument, no pun intended.  Rain, cold and a super long 298km of racing.  Throw in the Cipressa and the Poggio, and we have an old fashioned throw-down.  Look at the 8 that got away in the finale: Cancellara (Leopard), Gilbert (Omega), Ballan (BMC), Pozzato (Katusha), Scarponi (Lampre), Offredo (FDJ), Nibali (Liquigas).  To win out of a group like that, your name has to be Goss.  I would be remiss if I did not mention Stuart O'Grady (Leopard) rounding out tenth place.  O'Grady is one tough fill in the blank, I love his style and admire his grit -he is afterall a Paris-Roubaix winner. 

1 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) HTC-Highroad 6:51:10
2 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Leopard Trek
3 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
4 Alessandro Ballan (Ita) BMC Racing Team
5 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Katusha Team
6 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre - ISD
7 Yoann Offredo (Fra) FDJ
8 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:00:03
9 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:10
10 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Leopard Trek 0:00:12

1 comment:

  1. Amen... what is versus doing... I really needed to see this race in HD... I could even turn offf the commentary. I emailed those cats as if it would do anygood... not programing MSR for a snowmobile race... Are ya mocking me; whose been drinking too much Labatt's and huffing gold paint from a brown-paper-bag -- just tell me who -- I'll buy them some real beer, and some oklahoma gold (much healthier than huffin paint) -- they would surely see the LIGHT...

    ReplyDelete