Friday, February 25, 2011

I'm sooooo not Pro

This is going to be a little series this weekend on Team Tom's Bicycles' road trip to Mineral Wells, Texas for a USAC stage race.  Look for other posts this weekend and a wrap up on Monday, or Tuesday or whenever I find the time.  We have several first time racers, a couple of Cat IIIs, IVs, and a group of us 35+ racers in a 4/5 race.  And best of all (best for last) we have some ladies racing this weekend.  Stay tuned.

I'm getting packed for the road trip, trying not to forget anything, packing too much so that I won't have to scrounge if the weather changes.  Every time I think about racing this weekend I get nervous, wonder if any Pros get pre-race jitters?  Hope I can take this nervous energy and put it into the crankarms and squeeze some watts out of this silly emotion.  I think I have all of my cycling kit covered, probably will forget to pack off-the-bike clothes, toothbrush, underwear, but I have an extra pair of socks in case it rains.

Have some last min chores around the house and then some errands to run.  Don't forget to pick up some tubes at the shop, the wife's clothes at the tailor, do I have my shoes?  Am I excited or is it really nerves?  Focus.  This is fun, I am not getting paid -I am paying to do this.  Spending money to travel, stay and race, last time I checked my license, it did not say UCI PRO.

This is just a road trip where we will get to ride our bikes.  (don't tell anyone, but I would rather be riding my mtb on a road trip -but it is called a ROAD trip not MTB trip)  I will be racing a Crit tomorrow around noon and then turn around and then do a 7.2mile hilly Time Trial about two hours later.  I will not lie -I'm feeling good (other than the nerves) and can't wait to get the first lap of the crit in to settle down.  I want to drill the TT for a good overall position and then work the road race to the team's advantage.  If we play our cards right we could grab enough points to win the team competition.  I have some really good team mates riding with me this weekend and hope we can "work together and move up".

Thanks for all the "well wishes", and "good lucks" from the Team.  Wish everyone was suiting up with us, you will be missed.

Caio for now

1 comment:

  1. Dude, how much embro are you packing?? Be careful with that stuff... You might even apply for the trip down for a little neural confusion... You know, your legs will just burn and you will forget that they are nervous. Good luck ladies and gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete