Sunday, January 16, 2011

the shape of things

I've been neglecting my road bike, so I went out with the team on a little 100k route yesterday.  Switching from a fat 5" travel rock-eating plush monster to a skinny-tire big-ring soul crusher is one giant step for mankind.  I have been riding a road bike, but only on the rollers and trainer not on the actual road.  I would have to say that I am in mtb shape and I really thought it would translate to the road.  I do love pulling the bike out of the car with one arm and not having to strain, and every pedal stroke seems to make the bike jump forward.  

Speed is relative.  Relative to the action that is accompanying you at the time.  5mph over a rock-garden can seem like warp speed, 20mph in a peloton can seem like a brisk walk with chatting and jokes.  Climbing a nice long hill at 13mph with the legs burning can take a lifetime, but the downhill reward is gone in an instant.  And like that, it is gone.  Pain.  It comes, it goes, sometimes it packs a bag and stays too long like your un-invited relatives who are on their way to see the world's largest ball of twine.

I'll be honest, I'm a little beat-up from my little foray into the road bike scene yesterday.  I am thankful I took out the full carbon pave blasting machine, instead of the rain/training bike that gets most of the punishment this time of year.  I would probably still be in bed.  Coffee was barely enough to get the life back into this shell.  Thank you for the bountiful caffeine that you have bestowed on this wonderful bean, and the ability to roast, grind, and brew.  Amen.



Who would have thought that being in mtb shape would not carry over onto the somewhat smooth Oklahoma roads?  I would have bet that bouncing around all those miles and hours these months that a little pavement would cause no-harm to my super human off-road shape.  A bike is a bike is a bike?  Yes and No.  Location location location.

No comments:

Post a Comment