Thursday, January 20, 2011

No love lost?





I really hate snow.  It is so useless.  It freaks people out and makes them do stupid things, especially while driving.  This is not good.  Tulsa is not in the Snowbelt, so it is senseless to spend money on equipment that will rarely get used.  We have no use for the snow other than the moisture content, and the last time I checked we could use rain.  That's right how about some rain?  Oklahoma is OK with rain, hold the snow give me rain.



I haven't been completely honest with you about snow.  I used to be in a relationship with Snow.  I was young and need the money...Just kidding.  My parents took me skiing for the first time when I was about 4 years old.  I twisted my knee and could barely walk, slept with an ice pack and took the wonder drug Advil.  Next morning still couldn't walk, but I could ski.  I skied whenever I could, and I have my Mom to blame  thank for that.  Snow and I were just in the getting to know you stages, but our relationship was about to take a turn for the serious.

 
I was a skateboard punk, and in the late '80s early '90s snowboarding exploded.  I was part of the collateral damage.  I took lessons (thanks again Mom) and was instantly hooked.  I had the set-up my Mom loved to ski and I loved to ski/snowboard so let's just say that for a flat-land Texan I spent more time in the mountains than most.  I guess you could say that Snow and I were getting serious and there was probably a promise ring or letter-jacket exchange in there somewhere.

By my senior year in high school I was taking weekend trips to Colorado and New Mexico on a regular basis -seemed like every-other weekend.  After graduation the next season I spent most of my time sleeping on floors and couches in Southern Colorado.  I had the fever and the only cure was more... more snowboarding, and this is when the relationship with Snow became serious and I wanted to spend every waking hour with her.  Summer was punishment, heat was death.  Time away from Snow was painful.  I couldn't stand it any longer, so we got engaged.  I got a call from a friend that said "want to move to Utah?". 

"Yes" is what I said.  We were going to be together, it was a reality -no more just pretend.  I wanted to be with Snow and now I was in the State with the "Greatest Snow on Earth".  I got my picture on a piece of plastic that said I could be with Snow anytime I wanted (Season Pass).  I moved to Utah during a season that they called a Ten-Year Cycle.  Record Snow.  We were in love, it was wonderful, it lasted for 5 years and in my infinite wisdom I left.  I left Snow.

So now when I see her, it is with the knowledge of our past.  It is the sick punched in the gut feeling you get when you see a past relationship, the one that was a big part of your life that is now gone.  You don't want them to see you, or heaven forbid actually make eye contact and have to have an awkward moment.  Snow and I are done, but I still have feelings for her, and I think fondly of the times that we shared.  But Dam-it that was then, this is now.  I've moved on?




All pictures are of me, if you didn't know

1 comment: