Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Come Together

I've been kind of a hermit with my riding lately, just riding from and to work with the detour here and there for some extra miles.  Riding bikes is about riding bikes, but one can make the experience so much better when it is shared.  I was reminded this on Sunday when I was coerced into riding with the group.  It looked like the makings of a horrible ride.  High wind and flat roads.  Two of my least favorites especially when put together in an equation such as this.  I rode to the shop to meet up with everyone and overdressed.  Good thing I have a locker at the shop.

Quick inspection of the group, and I don't know half of these people.  I'm starting to sweat, and it is not from layers -I just took those off.  We headed out onto the trail and my worst fears were coming true.  The crosswind had everyone ducking for cover.  There were a few squirrely wheels and I was on high alert.  Flat, right out of the box.  This is not a good sign.  I rubbed the Madonna hanging around my neck and made a quick plea.

Back on the road and we were working the headwind, we had the horse power to do it.  I stayed in the back to keep an eye on everyone, and to get comfortable riding with strangers.  It took a little more than an hour before we started having people come apart, but that was cool because we formed small groups and worked to keep everyone together.

I do love riding in groups, especially when it has good cohesion and somewhat of a common goal.  Stay together.  I firmly believe that absence makes the heart grow fonder, I just forget the fondness that I have.  This was a great group ride and everyone in the group "got it".  With everyone working together and staying together we were able to maintain a good pace and not have to surge and slow, surge and slow.

Companionship is a group thing, it's hard to practice alone.  There is nothing better that flying with a tail wind with your 'mates arm over your shoulder bar-to-bar at 25mph telling you how good it is to be on a ride with you.  The feeling is mutual.  The shared experience, may it be one-on-one or with a group it is a special bond that we all share.  Pain, Joy, Freedom, Friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment