Monday, October 25, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Words cannot begin to explain  how good it feels to get back on the bike after being absent for so long (9 days).  And yes, it is just like riding a bike.  The body had no problem remembering what to do, it was automatic; a body function like breathing.  One leg over the top tube and the instant connection was made, plug and play.

I thought after the days of debauchery, working crazy hours, eating bad, and smoke friendly establishments, that I would suffer.  I thought that I would suffer more so than normal; we all know that riding bikes is all about suffering.  To be honest I felt pretty good and the body was not too far off target even with an extra 7lbs of beer weight.

I really missed the pain and suffering that one goes through on the bike.  Today is the first time I really "felt" my legs in a long time.  You take that burn and the soreness that follows for granted.  You have to hurt to really feel.  Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails said it in his song Hurt: 
I hurt myself today


To see if I still feel

I focus on the pain

The only thing that's real
I'm sure that he had a different meaning for those lyrics, but for a cyclist once you are off the bike for a while these lyrics actually will mean something for you.  How good does it feel after a ride when you have "stretched the elastic"?  I missed that feeling.


The best part about getting back is the family, the family that I have been away from for a short time that seemed like forever.  I did not realize how much I missed talking shop with everyone about racing, the off season, CX races, other teammates, and not having to act interested in football is a plus.  It is so good to be among like minded people.  I missed my family, I don't know if they missed me, but they made me feel like I had been gone forever and they seemed to be glad to see me as much as I was to see them.  Thanks guys for making coming back feel like coming home.  It's good to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment