Thursday, September 23, 2010

3X10 Update Redux






Got a new chain for the Bike. Pretty nifty, it is a directional chain just like Shimano's road line-up. Installed the new chain and put the bike in the dirt this last weekend. Seemed to make everything better, shifting, gear selection. You name it, it was "all good" as the kids say. I put 10 miles on it on Sunday and another ten on Monday. The 32 is set-up to be the primary gear, and it is. I run the middle ring 98% of the time, it is rare that I use the small ring. We call the small ring the "tractor gear" 24 x 36 is low, and you can motor up anything. The 42 is more like a bash guard, I only use in on the road going down hill on the way home.

After the new chain, I am getting more acquainted with the Shimano 3x10 and the gearing is starting to grow on me. The shifting is more Sram-like, I can shift up or down with the system loaded. Don't know how long the chain will handle this abuse, but after 44miles it is still acting like is should.

I did have a minor setback last night with a shifting issue. It started shifting rough, ghost shifting, and being all-around stupid (for lack of a better word). This is what happened to me right before I broke the last chain. Got the bike back home and put it in the work stand. Worked on adjusting the derailleur, and had issues with the shift from the 11 to the 12. It would skip the 12 and land in the 13, both up and down. I put the chain in the 17 and worked it from there and got it perfect. Perfect except for the fact it would not go into the 11. Ended up adjusting the tension out of the cable until it was a bit loose. Magic, it shifted into the 11, and every up and down shift was Shimanorific. Just a little weird that I had to adjust the tension out of the cable to get it to work. ????????

Rode the system 14 miles today after last night's adjustment and .....No complaints. This is the first Shimano system I have had in the house in over 4 years. So, my Shimano skills are weak at best. Even with the system working, and working good, I want to throw down on a Sram X-9 2x10 with a 26x39 up front and a 12x36 in back. I'm a Sram man, made the leap on the road, I've been riding it off-road for years, and it looks so b'dass. Can't go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment